Sunday 14 July 2013

Book Review: The Battle of Mons Aelian by Francis Hagan




This is a free* short story I picked up the other day on Amazon. It is an account of a fictional 5th Century Roman battle in North Africa. It is written from the point of view of a battlefield archaeologist as he discovers the site and pieces together the surviving evidence to try to work out what happened 1500 years before. I thought the authors choice to write from this perspective was an interesting one and made the novel itself more interesting that it may otherwise of been.

The battle described is something of a small one but would make for an interesting wargames scenario however I'm not 100% sure of the authenticity of the tactics the author uses for the Roman legion so I would recommend checking that out first before using it as a scenario. Most of my reading on the Romans has focused on the Republic and early Empire so I'd need to re-read a few of my other books on the later Empire to be sure if I was to recreate this scenario.

There were a few grammatical and spelling errors but as they aren't my strong points either I can't really complain too much. Overall its an interesting little story but wouldn't be something I'd actually want to pay for.

Full Title: The Battle of Mons Aelian
Author: Francis Hagan
Pages: roughly 21 (7,000 words)
Publisher: Francis Hagan (9 July 2013)
Language: English
Price: Free (Kindle)

*I can't find any evidence that it's been anything but free.

- Posted using BlogPress

No comments:

Post a Comment